I've figured out a few new tricks on how to handle my sick child while keeping my sanity in check.
1. Today I learned a new concept of sponging. All these while I'd been using tap water and sponge Irfan on his forehead only (and sometimes his palm and feet) but today my dad informed me to sponge him with ice water, start from his head and goes all the way down the body. Oh, camtu rupanya sponging, tengok
2. Don't give him the medicine while he was lying on the bed, carpet, sofa or anywhere with sheet/cover as the possibility he might vomit is quite high (at least that's the case with my toddler). If you do it, then be prepared to change the sheets or cushion cover every time you feed him his meds.
3. You'll need to sleep lightly at night, as his temperature could shoot up in no time at all. So check them frequently to make sure the fever is under control. And don't forget to sponge him every once in a while.
4. The concept of 'Menanam tebu di tepi bibir' - Your husband might promise all sorts of things before you go to bed, but when you try to wake him up in the middle of the night to help with the baby he'd get cranky and cover his head with pillows. The worst thing that could happen is he'd go sleep in the other room. Haha. So as an alternative, make sure he takes the earlier shift - before you go to bed - and you take the night shift. That way it could be less tiring for both of you, thus unnecessary
5. Sick child wants full attention on themselves, so don't dream of having too much time for yourself. The house will be in total mess, so husband's help is very important during these time. But if you could live with the mess, then be it. Anak dah baik demam nanti, spring clean lah.
Whatever it is, lots of patience is needed to take care of a sick baby/toddler. Just remember that every loving touch we offer the child, we're rewarded by God Almighty.
And remember that you've gone through those nine months hardships, this is surely nothing compared to that, right?